What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

A Novel Bookstore

A Novel Bookstore - Laurence Cosse With the closing of Borders and more intense discussion over the fate of physical bookstores, I think it's time to go back and look at one of my favorite modern novels, A Novel Bookstore.It centers around a mystery and a group of booklovers who try to break the mold of the modern bookstore. Their idea is clear: only stock books that are 1) novels and 2) judged by a group of literary experts and themselves to be "good". In their plan, they rarely stock this seasons' bestsellers and try to find, however obscure, novels that are "good" and always have them in stock. This plan comes under fire from people in the community thinking they are pretentious snobs, overly intellectual, or that they are somehow bound to fail because of international pressure on bookselling industry from ebooks and other media. The intrepid protagonists' bookstore, The Good Novel, opens in Paris and the novel surrounds their struggle to open and then maintain their business, and their bookstore ideals. This novel not only has spot on characterizations of people who love books, but also a mysterious plot and theme about books that does not become trite, but rather a criticism and suggestion of what bookstores should become in an increasingly digital and disposable age. It also held up for me upon re-reading through a combination of timeliness and serious discussion about publishing literature and finding good novels to read.

Native Son