What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Vampires in the Lemon Grove

Vampires in the Lemon Grove - With fantastical features like girls who have been turned into silk worms and magical war tattoos, Karen Russell's Vampires in the Lemon Grove covers a lot of ground. What comes in common with all of the short stories is a sense of being very dedicated to an idea, like a vampire's sobriety of go keeping hold of a glass window long enough to stake an official claim, and then somehow realizing that that idea will fail. The slow disintegration of psyches and unveiling of events can be a bit too slow at times, but overall plays well with the fantastical elements. There are certainly spooky aspects, like the life-sized doll of a runaway child, and these play well into the overall stories without devolving into a gimmick. The talent in writing is evident though I didn't care for quite all of the stories mostly because the plots at times could be painfully slow to develop.

Native Son