What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Life After Life - Kate Atkinson I like Kate Atkinson's style, I like the myriad of ways that a character can live their fictional lives plausibly, and I love the way that Ursula ends up trying to make the best of her life time after time. However, as a (somewhat) rabid Doctor Who fan, I have seen this before. The beautiful literary premise about how choices affect someone gets caught up in the muddle of a somewhat sci-fi evolution of the story. It's kind of fun discovering who these historical side characters are, but at the same time it seems like a little overdone sci-fi story. Seriously, it is the plot of "Let's Kill Hitler" complete with a character who has foreknowledge of the situation who is manipulating it for her own ends, and even that who rebirth/regeneration thingSo, the conceit is fascinating but the execution reminded me of a hybrid of a video game and a Choose Your Own Adventure where, no matter how hard you try, you keep dying. When Ursula would get herself into a variety of different situations (abusive relationships, death of pets, death of loved ones--there are a lot of possibilities when one gets to live their life over and over) I definitely felt for the character and was invested in how Ursula would end up. Atkinson was successful in creating and capturing a character who at least had me as a reader interested for the length of the novel. It should really be four stars but it's three because, if you consume as much sci-fi as I do, you've seen this plot before.

Native Son