What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

My Beloved World - Sonia Sotomayor I am a fan of the Supreme Court. The interpretation of the Constitution, the legal opinions, the stories associated with the justices--I think it's neat. When Sonia Sotomayor was appointed to the Court I didn't know much about her background, but following her opinions, I was impressed. Supreme Court justices are supposed to stay under the radar and out of the political process, but My Beloved World is an incredible exception to that rule. From growing up in a Puerto Rican family in New York City to juvenile diabetes and eventually to the DA's office and the Supreme Court, Sotomayor fought her way out of many less than favorable conditions. However, with a parent who believed in the importance of education and Sotomayor's hard work, her goal of being a lawyer (inspired by Perry Mason, no less) was something she achieved, and paved the way to her ultimate dream of being a judge. Instead of taking the inspirational side of things, Sotomayor decides to show how her hard work and determination was able to help her achieve. She also acknowledges the help she received, from her mother to her mentors early on in her career. The prose tends toward the more legal, dry tone that would also fit in a legal brief. Given Sotomayor's background, this is not surprising. One discussion of a political issue that Sotomayor does address is affirmative action. She was able to be admitted to Princeton as a minority student due to the affirmative action policy of the university, and from there she worked her ass off in order to stay there. Sotomayor confronted a partner at a legal firm she was contemplating working for, who alleged that she was only let into law school because of her minority status. In true Sotomayor fashion she confronted him. While the initial acceptance was based on affirmative action, her achievements at Princeton spoke for themselves. The feeling of somehow not belonging and someone finding out that one really doesn't belong, another issue Sotomayor mentions, is also documented with underrepresented groups in a variety of fields. Having someone with incredibly high achievements discuss these issues of representation is incredibly powerful because she's lived it, and so discussing a highly divisive legal issue is not out of place. Other times when issues that could be addressed in current or future cases, Sotomayor is a true judge when she wittily dismisses discussing her personal opinions. My Beloved World is an incredible insight into the career of a modern lawyer, judge, and Supreme Court justice.

Native Son