What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares, Suzanne Jill Levine, Jorge Luis Borges, Ruth L.C. Simms, Norah Borges de Torre The Invention of Morel is a treatment of the mysterious island plot with a characteristic South American flair for the bizarre. The narrator, trapped on an island, keeps a diary of his experiences: his love for Faustine, his opposition to Morel, and his continued discovery of a machine that can take the moving images of live people. What ensues is an lack of surety of what is real and what is not, and questioning fundamental aspects of reality while the narrator tries to discover why Faustine ignores him and disappears. This short novel is incredible and it was a fast, engrossing read. NYRB has made a wise choice yet again to reissue it, and I throughly enjoyed exploring the narrator's strange island world.

Native Son