What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Pursuit of Love - Nancy Mitford Nancy Mitford is as delightfully snarky as her sister Jessica, and this makes reading her novels like getting gossip from an old friend. That being said, I enjoy Mitford's biographies more than her novels. Mitford's novels are lightly fictionalized versions of her own family's biography, and it makes sense that she alienated some of her family along the way. Her biographies are less than academic but there is less second guessing as to whether a similar incident happened in her life or not. The plot of The Pursuit of Love focuses on the Radlett family and is told through the eyes of their cousin, Fanny. Fanny's mother has a reputation as a "bolter" from all her relationships, and Fanny grows up alongside her eccentric cousins. Linda, Fanny's cousin that becomes the focus of the novel, grows up to be the Bolter of her generation. Linda first marries a Tory politician, then a communist, and then has an affair with a French duke. Her serial relationships form the gossipy plot that Fanny recounts, though towards the end Fanny becomes less of the main narrator and the novel instead falls into a recounting of Linda's time in France. The novel was published in 1945 and the tone of impending war is woven into the plot.Overall I found the beginning a bit like something I had already seen before, having read [b:Hons and Rebels|43401|Hons and Rebels |Jessica Mitford|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320464420s/43401.jpg|1023825] but the portion where Fanny's narration takes a back seat to Linda's growing sense of self and decisions about how she actually wants to live her life is excellent and compelling.

Native Son