What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman When Diana Wynne Jones died, I was worried that a particular brand of British fantasy was gone forever. Well, turns out Neil Gaiman can write anything and everything, because he has written a beautiful novel that strongly evokes the late Wynne Jones. His new novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, is his first in years and is a little on the short side. As much as I would have loved a longer Gaiman novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a perfect gem. Our narrator has returned to his childhood neighborhood after a long departure, and his memories of the past, including his friend Lettie from down the street, start coming back to him. It's a frightening remembered reality, maybe from the mind of a fantastical seven year old. Since this is a Neil Gaiman novel, chances are our narrator is not unreliable on this front. With some fairy tale staples as well as elements of a Diana Wynne Jones story (two sets of memories, mysterious woods, cats, and an enjoyment of archaic school girl adventure novels), Gaiman puts together his narrator's remembered world of mystery, terror, and adventure.

Native Son