What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country - Gianna Angelopoulos I received a copy of My Greek Drama as part of a GoodReads First Reads giveaway. Giana Angelopoulos is a somewhat typical driven woman. Her family history and young life are caught up with the culture and history of Crete, and she feels herself destined for greatness, probably as an ambassador, and refuses to take no for an answer. Through her legal career, run for local office, and involvement in the 2004 Athens Olympics, Angelopoulos goes through personal turmoil as well as political betrayal and maneuvering. Hearing how Greek politics works from a former insider was fascinating, though I wasn't sure how much self promotion or spin was involved in the retelling. Angelopoulos does admit that she can be domineering and loud at times, all in service of getting done what needs to be done especially as Greece almost drops the ball in the lead up until the Olympics. The boards are decorated as a collage of snapshots of Angelopoulos meeting foreign dignitaries and the color photograph inserts strongly recall a personal biography for a family audience. Instead of being a rigorous academic work or more of a creative memoir, Angelopoulos writes up a memoir in the style of something that she could pass down to her family as a memory of her life. It's a tone that I'm surprised to be found in a hardcover available commercially, but if anyone needs reminding Angelopoulos is well connected in the business and academic worlds, so maybe her family is more than just her biological one. Despite feeling unsure about her recounting of her political career, I was interested to hear what Angelopoulos thought about the current economic troubles with Greece. Her experiences make her a highly qualified commentator, and her insight puts into context the recent history of Greece.

Native Son