What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Blood Curse: The Springtime of Commissario Ricciardi - Maurizio de Giovanni A fortune teller in 1931 Naples has been brutally murdered, and Commissario Ricciardi, the specter-seeing detective, is on the case in Blood Curse, the next volume in the series after [b:I Will Have Vengeance|15812216|I Will Have Vengeance|Maurizio de Giovanni|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356116568s/15812216.jpg|14567266]. Ricciardi undergoes some personal development in addition to cracking the case. He is not comfortable with his ability to see the ghosts of the newly dead, though there is someone he encounters during the course of the case that gives him insight into his own condition. The mystery is well plotted (though I had my suspicions before the final reveal), though the strong suit of this addition to the Ricciardi series is the development of Ricciardi's right-hand man, Brigadier Maione. Readers of the first book in the series already are aware of Maione's mental anguish over the death of his son, and it is expanded upon effectively as a subplot through the remainder of this mystery novel. One thing that caught me off guard was the change in translator from the previous volume in the series. The writing read differently for me than from the first novel in the series, and it was slightly frustrating until I double checked the name of the translator. It's not a bad translation, but there are enough differences to be noticeable. Despite issues with the change in translator, I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Commissario Ricciardi mystery. Like with all great detective fiction, learning more about the detective is almost as intriguing as the next mystery they must solve.

Native Son