What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (Hercule Poirot, #39) - Agatha Christie Aptly named, Curtain is Poirot's final showing. It was written much before its 1975 publication date (here for more historical perspective on the later Christie works), which gives some perspective considering Christie planned on ending Poirot this way before she finally published it the year before her death. Curtain shows Poirot come full circle. Hastings is back as narrator after an extensive break and after having a whole family life in Argentina while Poirot, his old crime fighting buddy, kept up with catching the murderers. Hastings arrives at Styles, the site of Poirot's and his first case together, with Poirot a physical wreck and a house full of potential murderers. Hastings himself is worried about his daughter, who may or may not be carrying on with a married research scientist who also may or may not be a murderer. Things get complicated fast, in the style of Christie's earlier work. I thought the ending was particularly tricky. While the non-mystery ending was very sad, it was a very fitting to conclude the series. Enough said, go read it now please if you've read the rest of the Poirot series. It really should be read last, just like the recommended reading order from the Christie official site here.On a more personal note: I finished reading Curtain the day I graduated from college, since it was my goal to finish the Poirot mysteries by the time I finished my undergraduate education. Poirot has been a great companion on many planes, trips home, snowed out flights, swine flu outbreaks, and stressful semesters. So, unless another Poirot short story is found somewhere in Christie's notebooks, this is the end. (Except maybe a future re-read)

Native Son