What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour - Kate Fox Watching the English walks the line between popular science and a more academic text, and often falls on the wrong side of that line. The sheer amount of information collected from direct observation is incredibly insightful, but reading it all at once is a bit difficult. I had to take a break about half way through because I was having trouble tracking in this lengthy and comprehensive study. Some high points include the sections on queueing and other English cultural practices, but as I mentioned before the detail sometimes weights the text down. Without the detail though, it would appear to be an English woman making generalizations about her culture, so it is necessary but not very well incorporated into the overall narrative.

Native Son