What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Casino Royale (James Bond) - Ian Fleming Casino Royale, the first Bond novel, shapes up to show Bond as an emotional, amateur, and often overconfident spy. While fans of the later novels and film adaptations might take issue with this, Fleming is able to show Bond as a rookie without himself coming off as amateurish. The Royale, Felix Leiter, and the Bond girl are all present and take action in one of the better plotted Bond adventures. Of course Bond's interactions with women are problematic and he's not the best man, let alone the best spy (yet). However, Casino Royale captures a sense of the rawer, darker Bond when he was more of a reaction to a stylized version of the espionage game instead of a stylized version of himself. While From Russia with Love is a less brash plot and premise than Casino Royale, Casino Royale manages to hold up even without considering its place in James Bond history. (On a more personal note, this novel had the distinction of being the last novel I was required to read in my undergraduate career.)

Native Son