What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes - Maria Konnikova Basically, who doesn't want to have the same super powers as Sherlock Holmes? Being able to look at someone and tell everything about them is pretty neat, and Sherlock Holmes can use this for his extra special career of consulting detective. Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes is an effort to understand, given modern research into memory and cognition, how the Great Detective achieves his mental clarity. I had just finished a course focusing on Sherlock Holmes, so most of the quotations used by Konnikova to support her overall ideas were already familiar to me. A few times this verged on over-reliance, though I also got the impression that her audience was slightly wider than the Sherlockian detective fiction enthusiast. The details regarding her interaction with Holmes, from her first encounters being read to until her current brain science analysis, were a highlight for the fan part of my reading brain. While most of the science is treated in a cursory way and there isn't a final self-help style checklist on how exactly to turn oneself into Holmes, the overall examination of Holmes' techniques and their applications was a nice analysis of the Holmes stories in a new context. If we could actually read Holmes' Science of Deduction, Mastermind would be the abstract.

Native Son