What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Percival Everett by Virgil Russell - Percival Everett I was provided a copy of Percival Everett by Virgil Russell through the GoodReads First Reads program from Graywolf Press. I'm on the fence about this novel. It's written in a very meta way, about a father and son who may or may not exist making up stories about people who are probably made up but the reader is not 100% sure. There are so many plots and subplots in the first part, with the next two portions becoming even more convoluted, but not convoluted in a bad way. The ending parts were especially interesting, and the inclusion of photographs at the end was an interesting move. I frequently got a little confused about who was speaking (another author who eschews quotation marks), but it was not enough to completely detract from the thematic content. The discourse between father and son, and also the father's meditations of life and death within the nursing home that a portion of the novel, was fascinating and made sense in the context of the convoluted style. The reflections on being concerned about aging and feeling trapped made the novel meaningful in more than a flashy "look at me" innovative style.

Native Son