What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Marriage Plot - Jeffrey Eugenides After with disastrous first encounter with Jeffery Eugenides and Middlesex, I wanted to give his writing another try and to see what I was overlooking in his writing style that in Middlesex was lost on me. So, in terms of good things, Eugenides in The Marriage Plot captures the types of characters one would expect to see in Middlemarch, now with 1980's edge. Issues started to arise when a couple things turned anachronistic, but I stuck with it. The writing and storytelling is reminiscent of a different era, but even with a original writing style, this novel could not be saved from the inconsistencies in the novel itself. Eugenides features historical figures from the era interacting with the main characters (ie Stephen Jay Gould and Mother Teresa) but can't be bothered to work Barbara McClintock in, the actual person who won a Nobel Prize for "jumping genes" in corn. Instead, she's replaced with a shadowy character the reader sees only occasionally when Madeline is feeling lonely in Leonard's national lab. Overall, I got the feeling that by including these details, as well as the inclusion of a Moleskine notebook and other science jargon, the author wanted at best a pat on the head for adding in details the reader would have to notice. Overall, an okay novel and very 19th century in feel. There was some level of investment with the characters no matter how silly some of the details became, but as a whole The Marriage Plot is not the strongest novel I've read recently.

Native Son