What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Gone Girl was problematic for me. I liked the set up from the husband's point of view, who manages to make every classic mistake of a guilty spouse, but the diary entries from the point of view of Amy, the vanished wife, were a little too much. However, the more we hear about Nick's and Amy's relationship, the more I was frustrated. Some of Nick and Amy's actions lack plausibility, and a couple of times this mystery tends to the criminally fantastic. The more fantastic elements of the novel all involve spoilers, so I'll be vague. Amy's disappearance evidence doesn't add up, and while the clues were there, a couple of times the suspense is ruined for the sake of shock value or general psychopathy of the participants. No one in the novel, other than maybe the detectives, is particularly sane, reasonable, or honest. Ordinarily this would make for some very interesting writing, but in terms of crime fiction, this is not as well developed as it could be. So, I suppose the conclusion is that Gone Girl is a good mysterious literary fiction type mystery, but as a genre work it's a little unsophisticated. This is not a judgement on how engaging the novel is; I read Gone Girl when I should have been doing a million other things because I wanted to know more. I was intrigued enough with the premise of finding out of Nick was guilty in the case of his wife's disappearance that I stuck with the whole novel over the period of a few days.

Native Son