What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Live and Let Die (James Bond) - Ian Fleming Live and Let Die, the second Bond novel, is rougher around the edges than later additions to the series. It's more violent, racist, and carefully establishes the relationship between Bond and Felix Leiter, his CIA side-kick. It's also a distinctly American adventure and establishes characteristics of Bond that are reprised in later works. Bond is off to America in this case, where Mr. Big, a New York gangster bent on being the best black criminal in the U.S., is fencing gold coins likely from a Caribbean shipwreck. Part of his gang is the beautiful clairvoyant, Solitaire. Of course Bond and Solitaire run off and more plot ensues. From New York City clubs to the Florida Everglades, and back to Jamaica, Bond runs across the Northwestern Hemisphere to bring down Mr. Big and his criminal organization. Overall, this thriller borders on the absurd at times while Fleming is trying out themes and characterizations of Bond. The racism in this novel is some of the most notable, and the amount of almost gratuitous violence (most of it appears off the page, but the results are clearly observed by Bond) is notable. This is not the most interesting or nuanced Bond novel, but it is an early insight into the character development of Bond, James Bond.

Native Son