What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Carte Blanche - Carlo Lucarelli, Michael Reynolds Carte Blanche, at just over 100 pages, is really short. Instead of having the feel of a full blown detective novel, this one read more like an episode in a crime TV show. The premise of having a police officer who tries to enforce the law with drastically changing circumstances is an appealing one. DeLuca has changed the police force he belongs to (and looks like by the end of the novel he will have to again), but his goal is always to bring the criminals to justice. In some ways that is highly admirable, in other is makes it very confusing in a short novel to have such loose and varying allegiances. The good news is that DeLuca is a series detective and there are two more short novels after this one. Gritty historical noir wasn't at first my thing, but I still want to read the other two in the series to see what happens. It might be that I do really like the main character and that hasn't clicked yet, or that I want to see how an Italian police man reacts to the fall of the Fascists. Either way, this first novel in a series of Mediterranean crime novels has convinced me to read the rest.

Native Son