What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Little Criminals - Gene Kerrigan Frankie Crowe is neither a good person nor a particularly good criminal. He assembles a crew of fellow criminals to at first rob local pubs, and when that becomes not profitable enough for the danger he puts himself in, he dreams up a scheme that will result in the greatest profit for the least about of criminal work. Apparently kidnapping is his preferred mix of ease and profit. Of course this plan goes wrong (Frankie Crowe is not the sharpest tool in the shed), and then things actually get interesting. I was not a fan of the first half of the novel, mostly because I did not like the main character. Having him deal with planning a crime was painful to watch because of his general lack of skill at even his criminal career. He's also not above violent outbursts from which quite a few people suffer. The last hundred or so pages of this crime novel are what make it so good. The kidnapping plot resolves itself in a very suspenseful way, and a highly likable character finally decides to stand up to Frankie Crowe and his criminal network. I read these last hundred pages in one night because of the excellent mixture of suspense and characterization. There are two more novels in this linked trilogy: [b:Midnight Choir|458956|The Midnight Choir|Gene Kerrigan|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1359649780s/458956.jpg|447440] and The Rage .

Native Son