What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Goldfinger (James Bond) - Ian Fleming Bond is back again. He is waiting in an airport, contemplating life and his killing of a Mexican involved in the drug trade, when someone who he once knew at a certain casino (the Royale, anyone?) asks him for help. Turns out there's a man who cheats at cards and this Royale alum has lost a significant amount of money. Goldfinger's title character shows up as a sunburned, obese red-head who seems like he's out to cheat unsuspecting tourists. There is more afoot as Bond quickly discovers, and he's off again to save the world from a villain who amounts to a secret spy banker with a sum total of zero scruples. There are gangs of lesbians in addition to mobsters and a solid white gold car. Oddly enough, the iconic death of the Bond girl by gold paint occurs away from Bond's gaze. The downside to this dazzling set up is that there is a significantly long golf scene that seems really intense if one is a P.G. Wodehouse character. Also, the leader of the gang of lesbians name is Pussy Galore and we find out in final pages that she was raped by an uncle at 12 because she lived in the South, so at least it wasn't her brother, she says optimistically. Bond "cures" her. Cue disgust and admiration of all the things wrong at once with that backstory.A solid addition to the Bond series but not a great spy novel on its own.

Native Son