What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Dr. No (James Bond) - Ian Fleming For the purist who doesn't want spoilers, be sure to read this one after From Russia with Love. I did the opposite for a film class, and it made From Russia with Love slightly less suspenseful. Warnings aside, Dr. No is not the best Bond book ever, but it's not too bad either. Dr. No lives on an island covered in bird guano (that's poo, people!) and some members of the Audubon Society have gone missing. Unfortunately for Dr. No, the additional disappearance of some MI-6 agents makes M. send James Bond out to investigate. Bond of course has some romantic attachments, gets crawled over by a centipede, and ends up beating Dr. No at his own game. Dr. No tends towards the absurd in terms of villains, but there's nothing wrong with that. This is a Bond book after all. There is also plenty of detail in the guns, cars, and surroundings. Fleming's real strength as a writer is the attention to detail, well on display here. However, the poo island called Crab Key on which Dr. No lives was a bit detracting. So, not the best Bond book ever but a good fun time around the block with everyone's favorite suave super-spy who turns out to be a lot deeper in the books than in the films.

Native Son