What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

I Will Have Vengeance - Maurizio de Giovanni I Will Have Vengeance by Maurizio de Giovanni (trans. Anne Milano Appel), is the first in a series of four crime novels featuring Commissario Ricciardi, set in Italy in 1931. An opera singer has been murdered, and his close ties to Il Duce make it important for this case to be solved. For how ethical and compassionate Comissario Ricciardi can be at points during this case, he reminded me of D.C.S Foyle or another similarly upright detective. The atmosphere of Italy on the brink is well drawn here, and the research into the historical features of the period is well done (apparently men wore hair nets during this period, something the author found out during extensive research). The only hang up I have about this novel is that the detective can see the ghosts of the dead. It seemed overdone at first, especially when ghosts of dead children or murdered lovers appeared out of the blue, but by the end it was well worked in. This is certainly not a gritty Swedish detective thriller, but this series looks like it will fill an interesting place in the pantheon of crime fiction. The second volume comes out in May, and I will certainly be reading that as well. For a first volume out for Europa's new imprint, World Noir, a job well done.

Native Son