What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Threads of the Heart - Carole Martinez I read this one on a plane, so I had the privilege of almost reading it in one sitting. The Threads of the Heart by Carole Martinez (trans. from the French by Howard Curtis) chronicles the life of Frasquita, a Spanish woman given the gift of magical sewing ability by a magic box passed down from mother to daughter in her family. She tries to live a normal life, but the magical elements of the plot, including her husband living in the chicken coop like a chicken for more than a year, get in the way. The novel, narrated by Frasquita's youngest daughter, follows the more and more strange, verging on fantastical, events in Frasquita's life and how she is slowly worn down by her extraordinary powers. In the superstitious Spanish countryside in which Fransquita lives, her extraordinary abilities arouse suspicion and fear from those around her. While this had a tad too much magical realism for my own taste, the novel was well written and while I had other books I had brought with me, this one captured my attention and proved to be a fantastic and heart-wrenching story of the life of a woman with extraordinary powers.

Native Son