What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Something Fresh  - P.G. Wodehouse Something Fresh, published in 1915, is a prime example of Wodehouse's early style. There are pulp fiction authors, businessmen from Hong Kong, plucky young women, foppish and rich young men, overbearing American fathers, and eccentric old men. Mistaken or false identities abound, and when an object of significant value goes missing, hilarity ensues. Basically, the first Blandings novel has all the classic Wodehouse elements without some of the post Second World War weariness. It almost sparkles with the stock characters that Wodehouse so often draws on. We miss Bertie Wooster's madcap narration style or the incomparable Empress of Blandings, but Something Fresh still has some of the best Wodehouse has to offer.

Native Son