What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France - Caroline Moorehead A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France airs more on the side of academic history than popular biography when recounting the experiences of female French resisters during the Second World War. These women are from various classes, ideologies, and places in France, but they have all been arrested for subversive activities, from producing explosives to simply writing "Vive les Anglais" on a school room wall. They vary in age, and their removal from their homes into various internment camps in France and Germany puts them under extreme emotional and physical stress. Even when the survivors are liberated from their camp at the end of the war, many die within 10 years. Moorehead had the opportunity to interview some of the survivors, so her work is a combination of primary and secondary source work. She tells the stories of how the women were arrested and how they lived or died in the German camps, and how some survivors testified at war crimes trials. While this is more academic that other reviewers have liked, I appreciated the point of view of female French resisters on the war and what they were doing. While the French government may have surrendered, these women (from all different political ideologies and family situations) took it upon themselves to hinder the Germans and, when that failed, survive.

Native Son