What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Wine of Solitude (Vintage International) - Irene Nemirovsky;Iraene Naemirovsky The Wine of Solitude is the most autobiographical of Némirovsky's novels, and it focuses on the relationship between a daughter and her mother. Hélène Karol's family is fundamentally dysfunctional with her father working hard to earn money, then giving it to his wife (with a practically live-in younger lover) because he is afraid he will gamble it away. In turn, Hélène's mother is emotionally manipulative and in an early incident, Hélène discovers how deeply in denial the people are that surround her. In many ways The Wine of Solitude is a prototype of her originally novel published a year later, Jezebel. This Némirovsky novel lacks the same biting tone directed towards everyone her other work. Maybe this is because she identifies so greatly with the young Hélène or maybe this is because The Wine of Solitude is an early stab at a characterization that later became the focus of Jezebel: the emotionally cold and manipulative mother. Hélène is rebeling against her mother, and in some ways this is a somewhat well trodden path for a plot that lacks some of the biting commentary of other Némirovsky works. While this novel is interesting for the biographical aspects as well as the completeness of Némirovsky's work, it is not the best example of Némirovsky's strong style.

Native Son