What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Viva Jacquelina! Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Over the Hills and Far Away - L.A. Meyer The back cover of this book reminds us that it has been 10 years since this series was first published, an unpleasant reminder that we've had 10 novels in this historical fiction series and we've still got to wait for a couple more before we finally find out how Jacky Faber's adventures come to an end. While the initial concept and the historical events with which Jacky manages to entangle herself are still strong, 10 books in was difficult to see before this entry how the series is progressing to any sort of endgame. While this series needs to start tying up loose ends and getting to the end already, this individual installment maintains the plot elements of the series while appearing to get closer to a conclusion that before. Viva Jacquelina! is set in Spain, with Jacky having arrived here as part of her service to the British intelligence community. She falls in with Goya, Spanish rebels against French rule, and many of the secondary characters in the series are not carried through because Jacky is back to living by her wits in Madrid. The ending also hints towards the conclusion of the series occurring soon, something that would unite a series of entertaining but too disconnected (at this point) series of adventures. This individual entry is stronger than the previous few and breaks away from some of the more frustrating conventions of the series.

Native Son