What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Listeners - Leni Zumas Quinn, the subject of The Listeners is a synesthetic anorexic ex-band member, with plenty of trite issues that would have fallen flat if she had been in the hands of an author other than Leni Zumas. The author's intense and inventive style is what makes this novel worth discovering, and the reader invested in Quinn and her actions. The points of view alternate between times in the plot, and between a more hazy memory/recollection to first person narration of events. Quinn's early tragic life events in addition to her bizarrely relatable neuroses make her a memorable narrator, and The Listeners an impressive overall first novel for Zumas.

Native Son