What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Anthem - Ayn Rand Another dystopian novel where one independent person breaks out and teaches us all how their society is wrong, and warns of us of the dangers of becoming a society based on an exaggeration of a current political idea. Compared to other novels like Brave New World, 1984, Animal Farm, and the more juvenile The Giver, this novel is not as well developed as them. It makes the point that the individual is more important than anything else, and comes to the conclusion that rugged individualism is the way to go, and that the strong and intelligent have no obligation to be brought down by the others who are less perfect than them. The main character discovers that he is inevitably right and a slightly vacant woman of course agrees with him. I was expecting more character development than say, Julia in 1984, but this novel falls into the dystopian issue of the man coming up with new ideas and trying to implement them. It is a routine dystopian novel, addressing the same issues from the post World War One society as Brave New World. It's treatment of collectivist society, and by extension Socialism and Communism, is oversimplified and is more of a morality tale than novel. While this does shed light on later political movements in the 20th century, it is a cautionary tale about not forgetting how important we all are to ourselves.

Native Son