What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Black Spider - Jeremias Gotthelf, Susan Bernofsky A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning - Maggie Nelson The Captive & The Fugitive - Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright

Back in the land of the living

The last two weeks I've been working on a somewhat dysfunctional 2 dimensional linear hydrodynamics code that made me want to puke every time I went close to it. Also, not much time for reading when every waking moment is tracking down bugs or trying to keep up with other classes when trying to conquer this beast.

I finished the code Tuesday night.

While it was running, I read half of A Moveable Feast by Hemingway, which really absurdly macho and arty, but it was about some guy with artistic and money problems who wasn't in grad school so I ate it up.

Then, to celebrate being done with the code, last night I just read. I finished The Black Spider essentially in one sitting, and am still trying to digest the arachnid imagery (I do not like any type of arthropods, especially ones on or around my face) and the religious allegory.

Then, because I was on a roll, I read some of Maggie Nelson's The Art of Cruelty because I've been trying to read that book for the last two weeks and have not made much progress (see above issues with my grad life interfering with my reading life).

Fortunately, I'm back and the non-linear hydro code is not due until December, so I have some time to start reading again! I've got some good ones in the queue as well so I am super excited for this weekend, when I will binge read and hopefully catch up on my Proust 2013 read along (I'm only 4 weeks behind?).

Native Son