What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Selected Letters of Martha Gellhorn

Selected Letters of Martha Gellhorn - Caroline Moorehead

(This is the part of the review when I kind of freak out because I made a resolution to rate AND review all the books I read in 2015 which means I'll have to say something intelligent starting NOW...)

Martha Gellhorn, since I picked up [b:Travels With Myself and Another|925368|Travels With Myself and Another|Martha Gellhorn|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1336639927s/925368.jpg|910377] for fun off a shelf in my favorite hometown bookstore, has been kind of a hero to me. She runs around in war zones, reporting, generally kicking ass, and writing about it. Her reportage gets older and, for lack of a better word, grumpier, as she gets older, so naturally I wanted to move on to her letters.

Overall, this volume of Gellhorn's letters track when she first dropped out of college to go to Europe until her death in 1998. The Spanish Civil War, her years with Hemingway (and naturally the fall out from her association with him, including a few notable letters to publishers and friends objecting to the way she's portrayed in memoirs mentioning E., and she generally refers to him), and her later reporting in Vietnam before a semi-retirement in Kenya and England.

Her terse, journalist style is on display here chronicling her opinions on her affairs, marriages, and her adopted children.

These letters are best taken after reading some of her journalism and Travels With Myself and Another since it they much more sense in context of her life. There were some surprising discoveries I made (I still haven't read a proper biography, preferring her own words to the analysis of others up until now) about Gellhorn's life. An informative and interesting read.

Native Son