What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Hermit in Paris: Autobiographical Writings

Hermit in Paris: Autobiographical Writings - Italo Calvino, Martin McLaughlin I'd mostly read Calvino's novels and short stories in the past, but these documents offer an (even more?) intriguing look into his life and experiences. Being mid-century and Italian there are some experiences that Calvino underwent, like helping the resistance to the Fascists, that make him stand out. I loved his observations about the United States from his trip there, in a diary that makes up most of this volume. Ordinarily this kind of thing would be for the die hard Calvino nerds, but there is something in the perspective on writing, translating, and living in different societies that is excellent enough to warrant the read.

Native Son