What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Secret History

The Secret History - Donna Tartt The genre of campus stories is populated with novels, and some of them are okay and some of them are disturbingly excellent. This is one of the latter. It's almost like "How to Get Away With Murder" but in literary fiction done by a master of the form.

All the principle players are here: the privileged student from New England, the student who pretends to be one of them but isn't, the outsider from out west, and charismatic teacher (who in this case is not anything out of "Dead Poet's Society") and the slow break down of reason within a small group of people.

This is the second novel by Donna Tartt I've read, and they do tend to be longer than ordinary novels, but the pacing is supposed to be on the slower side. There's a slow burn to a lot of the issues, maybe less so in The Secret History than [b:The Goldfinch|17333223|The Goldfinch|Donna Tartt|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1378710146s/17333223.jpg|24065147], but it makes it worthwhile for an excellent author that produces novels infrequently.

Native Son