What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town

Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town - Jon Krakauer Jon Krakauer is often known for his controversial topics of choice, between FLDS and Chris McCandless' death, but in this case I think Krakauer picked a good topic and dealt with it well. He keeps the focus on not just Missoula's mishandling of rape cases but emphasizes that police departments and universities everywhere are having this issue, and these are case studies.

Fair warning, though, he gives some pretty graphic at times descriptions of the attacks on the women discussed in this book. On the other hand, it's something that readers (and at this point everyone affected by the American justice system) need to come to face. At first Krakauer describes his realization of the issue of violence against women in very naive ways, but later improves the narrative for people who may not have been familiar with the issue to begin with.

Native Son