What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Textu

Textu - Fady Joudah First, I thought the poems were gimmicky, but then I changed my mind.

I went to an author reading at the Poetry Center in Tucson, and found out some more about the composition of the poems. Joudah mentioned how he was under an intense period of his life, and his choice was "doing this or pills". Each poem is short enough to be composed as a series of text messages, 160 characters exactly or as close as possible (since not everyone has unlimited texting, he was quick to remind the audience). He would text the poems out to friends and family, and it was used as a way of not writing or translating anything new or major but a way of coping.

In that context, these poems shine.

Native Son