What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Murder in the Fourth Corner: True Stories of Whatcom County's Earliest Homicides - T.A. Warger Let's get real here. I like crime stories, and I picked this up because it's crime about my hometown.

Let's get more real. Solving old cases is like reading about old medical procedures, where the things I read actively make me cringe because so little was known in terms of modern crime solving (which according to the National Academies is still full of unscientific procedures that aren't as effective as people have assumed). Reading about old cases, mostly based on research from state and local archives of court documents and newspapers, is a fun trivia experience about where I grew up, plus a reminder that people don't change. There's even an H.H. Holmes style serial killer who lived in Whatcom County at the turn of the 20th century.

This is also basically a self-published book, and Murder in the Fourth Corner could have really used it. The language at times is uneven, and the best chapter contained in this volume was originally published by someone other than T.A. Warger in another publication. It's not bad, it's just a little too much like reading a blog or one of the half hour crime shows on Investigation Discovery.

Native Son