What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Voltaire in Love - Nancy Mitford Voltaire in Love by Nancy Mitford recounts the relationship between Voltaire and Madame du Chatelet. Voltaire and Madame du Chatelet both are brilliant and confrontational, and their clashing personalities creates a whole lot of relationship drama (between them as well as their peers) while Madame du Chatelet works to translate the works of Issac Newton. Voltaire and du Chatelet's intellectual relationship outlives their romantic one in many ways, and their work in translating Newton also describes the spread of a scientific revolution from England to France. The scientific aspect of this relationship biography was fascinating on its own, but Mitford's biographical style makes this account fun to read even if it relies heavily on secondary historical sources. Mitford at times writes with strongly mid-century British diction, adding an element of humor when she puts what others have been delicate about in her own straightforward terms (maybe she and her sister [a:Jessica Mitford|24401|Jessica Mitford|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1196207252p2/24401.jpg] had this in common). This short biography describes the intellectual relationship of two Enlightenment figures who challenged the literary and scientific norms of Enlightenment France, with all their faults and idiosyncrasies.

Native Son