What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Damned Season - Carlo Lucarelli, Michael Reynolds The second novella in the De Luca trilogy, The Damned Season picks up where Carte Blanche ends. De Luca is on the run because the Second World War is not going well for Italy and the Fascists, and he has been an agent of their rule as a police officer. He is recognized by a local police officer, who blackmails De Luca to stay and help the local force solve a multiple homicide.This addition to the De Luca trilogy is stronger and more interesting (though not significantly longer) than the previous installment. Once again a more episodic tone is taken with the mystery, and De Luca's ability to stay alive and out of trouble becomes as fascinating as the crime itself. This is good and honest detective fiction, where the detective becomes just as important as the crimes he or she is solving. Once again, I am excited to read the next in the series because these gems are just too short.

Native Son