What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Thunderball (James Bond) - Ian Fleming Thunderball, the first of the Blofeld trilogy within the Bond series, derives its name from the operation that Bond and the CIA (meaning Felix Leiter) collaborate to recover two stolen atomic weapons. Wait there's more! The reader has to traverse a greatly humorous section where Bond goes to a health spa, essentially old fashioned version of detox clinic, because of M's recommendation. Of course there is some intrigue and before long Bond is back on the case (and eating red meat again). Thunderball's interesting history and legal disputes over authorship of the screen play aside, this is a Cold War Bond outing for sure, where Bond this time instead of fighting smuggling, megalomaniacal guano miners, or Russians must save the United States from an atomic attack. There are two more novels before the reader finally figures out what happens to Blofeld, and this is a strong first showing of the villain that Bond will be up against in the future.

Native Son