What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

A Million Heavens - John Brandon Told in alternating chapters from the points of view of a motley group of residents of a town in New Mexico, A Million Heavens presents a cast of characters that are surprisingly and delightfully messed up. They come from damaged pasts and are trying to move forward. An interesting character to add is the wolf who roams the town and becomes infatuated with the music that one character transcribes from her dead boyfriend, who is currently in a waiting room of an afterlife. The main pair of characters are Soren and his father, a boy in a coma and a father who insists on being there every day in case Soren wakes up. Soren is the thread that ties this group together, giving this novel a common thread and interest. An addition to the characters loosely connected by events type genre, this novel is impressive in its characterizations and span of thoughts, from a concerned parent, mayor, and college almost drop out to the wolf.

Native Son