What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Time Travel Murder Mystery

The Shining Girls - Lauren Beukes

The Shining Girls sounds at first like a bad mash up of Doctor Who and CSI, and while there was great potential for camp, the brutal violence and suspense avoids that pitfall.

Kirby has survived a brutal attack (and animal lovers might want to just skim the chapter that describes her actual attempted murder) and she is trying to find the man who murdered her.

Meanwhile, Harper, the murderer, stumbles across a house in Chicago that doubles as a time machine and motive for murder. He brings tokens from another murder to leave at the site of each killing, his time traveling concealing his actions. He is without a doubt a sick killer, which was overall decently done. I'm not big on reading about criminals themselves, especially murderers, which is where this book finally lost me.

However, the clever plot, the lack of fetishization of murder (and even a direct addressing of it at one point), as well as the interesting secondary characters and undercurrents of "the shining girls" moving outside the normal confines of society make it a strong combination of literary and genre fiction.

Native Son