What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

A Moveable Feast

A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway Hey Hemingway, I like hearing about your friends and living in Paris, mostly because your friends are awesome and Paris is cool.

I can definitely see how A Moveable Feast has in a lot of ways become a classic of the time and place. The Fitzgeralds make appearances (of course Hemingway wasn't a fan of Zelda) as well as Gertrude Stein and other famous authors and artists of the day. There is the art, the struggling, the Parisian atmosphere. I binge read this after a week of very intense hydrodynamics simulation coding, and experiencing the ins and outs of American expats was fascinating. Unfortunately there is a slightly more expanded version that my university bookstore did not have, but I have a feeling that the overall impressions are similar.

Before the Spanish Civil War, before commercial literary success, before the next three wives and before the Nobel Prize, Ernest Hemingway is a struggling artist, discovering what literary opinion he values and forming his authorial identity (having read this in the midst of reading Proust, I definitely started to see a connection between the literary ambitions and uncertainties between Hemingway at the time at the narrator of In Search of Lost Time).

Overall, it's not just worthy to read out of being a Hemingway enthusiast but because it documents the formation of an artist. Hemingway does take some perspective on things, especially when it comes to Fitzgerald's future successes and failures, but overall it's a time capsule of a time and place that has since been written about extensively by biographers. Why not read it from the horse's mouth?

Native Son