What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

Bluets

Bluets - Maggie Nelson My favorite color is blue.

From a recommendation from a friend, I found a copy of Bluets and in the process found my favorite new bookstore in Tucson. So, a win all around.

Maggie Nelson has organized Bluets into a series of propositions, she calls them, and each one varies from a few lines to significantly longer (though never more than about a page). Each one focuses on the color blue in some way, shape, or form. The physical, like Newton, to the emotional, like depression, play together in a way that alternates between quirky and deeply sorrowful. Occasionally these changes throw the reader, but that's part of the beauty of the work.

I was strongly reminded of Terry Tempest Williams' When Women Were Birds in terms of the structure, and I have to say I am a huge fan of the short essay structure. The combination of stream of consciousness where the thoughts are so brief that only one or two things are captured is combined with a numbered structure and this is something I need more of, as soon as possible. There's something about it that's incredibly special and innovative.

Bluets is a masterwork of contemplating the social, emotional, and physical implications of the color blue in the most interesting and fascinating way.

Cross-posted at BookLikes.com