What I Happen to Be Reading At the Moment

The Bling Ring: How a Gang of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood and Shocked the World - Nancy Jo Sales The Fatal Gift of Beauty: The Trials of Amanda Knox - Nina Burleigh Lazy B: Growing up on a Cattle Ranch in the American Southwest - Sandra Day O'Connor, H. Alan Day Out of Order: Stories from the History of the Supreme Court - Sandra Day O'connor Making Masterpiece: 25 Years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS - Rebecca Eaton, Patricia Mulcahy One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey, Robert Faggen The Road Through the Wall - Shirley Jackson, Ruth Franklin

Tucson Festival of Books

Held annually in Tucson, AZ, usually over the first weekend of Spring Break for the university students, this year the Festival of Books was Saturday, March 15 to Sunday, March 16.

I went on Saturday. Basically, the best day ever.

Or, at least one would think. I was not in serious go mode for most of the day so I missed book talks by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and Materpiece's Rebecca Eaton because the lines filled up. I still managed to get signed copies of their books, which was still neat. There are some serious author event goers who started lining up bright and early!

I did make it to a panel discussion about crime and popular culture with the authors of two of the books tagged in the post, Nancy Jo Sales and Nina Burleigh. Both journalists knew each other, and it was fun to hear them talk both as friends who were catching up and as being prompted by the moderator. There were a lot of the same well trod out concerns about young women, their sexuality, and crime (which frankly I am so bored of it's not even funny). However, I found something interesting in what they were saying that the moderator never followed up on, so I bought their books. Both are great: very critical but not sensationalized versions of the true crimes they write about. An excellent antidote to In Cold Blood in my pantheon of true crime reading (not like I do all that much, but I thought it would be fun to expand my crime fiction reading horizons).

I'm already excited for next year's Festival of Books, because I will be prepared for the mega-talks as well as trying to hunt down smaller and more manageable small panels as well.

Also, PENGIN BOOK TRUCK EVERYONE!!

Native Son